Boca Chica, Dominican Republic

An eagle's eye view of living in the Dominican Republic from someone who actually lives in the Dominican Republic!

For most people, the thought of moving to a "third world country" is daunting. Where do I live? Is it cheap? Is it safe? What will I eat? What is everyday life like? What if I don't speak the language? How will I get around? What if I get sick? So many questions and not enough answers. Oh, there are plenty of websites out there, but do those people actually live there?

So enters the "Dominican Treasures" blog. We actually live in Boca Chica, Dominican Republic. We walk the streets, shop in the shops, eat the food, and are learning the language. Let us show you what living in the Dominican Republic is REALLY like. That way you'll know for sure if it's for you.

As we go about life here we will be updating our blog with pictures and little stories of our everyday lives. Feel free to leave comments or email us with questions. We'd be more than happy to help in any way.

Anthony , Margaret & Adria Gatto

Sunday 13 January 2008

House Cleaning


So this is a new thing I had to get used to! We have a cleaning lady who comes in Monday, Wednesday and Friday and cleans our house for us. I'm so used to doing this myself it's really kind of nice to have her - she makes the house sparkle and smell SO GOOD!!! Her name is Dani (pronounced dah-nee). She is a very sweet woman who is always smiling and laughing. As a thank you (since she is paid by our landlord for her services) for coming I always make sure I make some "cafe con azucar" or coffee with sugar. NOTE: You absolutely MUST have sugar if you are going to offer coffee! Dominicans won't drink coffee without it!

1 comment:

Aisha said...

Here in the Philippines, we also say azucar but spelled asukar for sugar. It's our influence in Spanish before that's why. :)